Monthly and daily disposable contact lenses are the two main types of contacts available in the market . Also known as monthlies and dailies.
As their names suggest, monthly contacts are those which can be worn from 1-12 months, while daily contacts are good for only one wear.
Monthly Contact Lenses
Monthlies come in varieties of 1 month, 3 month, 6 month and even 12 months. They are built from high quality durable material can be reused over and over again until their expiry. The only catch is that they have to cleaned with contact lens solution every time they are worn to prevent eye infections or even pink eye.
As contact lenses dry up when out of your eye, they also need to be soaked in lens solution to maintain their moisture content. So by using monthlies, you will need a contact lens case and lots of lens solution.
Due to the higher built-to-last quality of he monthly contact lens, they tend to be more expensive than the daily wear contact lens.
Daily Contact Lenses
Daily lenses have become more popular in recent years due to their convenience. You literally just wear them and then throw them away. No need to clean them or store in a case.
Daily wear contact lenses come in individually packaged packets that are filled with solution so that they are clean, lubricated and ready to wear. After wearing them the whole day you just throw them away.
Never ever wear daily contact lenses more than once.
Daily disposable lenses are cheaper in terms of money per lens as you buy them in bulk. Some contact lens suppliers even offer monthly plans where they will ship you a 30 day supply of daily disposable contact lenses to your door. You also save money on the solution and cases because you don’t need any. This also makes them more travel friendly.
The nice thing about the dailies is that you don’t have to worry about dropping them, losing them, cleaning them, or having to wear them every day. You can easily switch between glasses and contacts if you don’t feel like wearing contacts on a particular day. Its harder to do this with monthlies where you have already opened the lens packaging and need to maximize value for your money.
For me personally, I only use dailies whenever I have to play sports like cricket, football, or squash. Otherwise, I stick to good old glasses.
Daily vs monthly contact lenses
Lets summarize our comparison between daily and monthly contact lenses:
|Property||Monthly Contacts||Daily Contacts|
|Price||Higher overall due to solutions and cases||Depends on the brand and quality|
|Convenience||Having to wash and store|
Having to carry around bottles and cases for trips
|Wear and throw. No need to carry anything except box of contacts|
|Cleanliness||Depends on how well you wash them||Brand new every time|
|Can sleep in them||No||No|
|Environmentally Friendly||No because of solution manufacturing, bottles, and case plastic||Yes because less trash. The packaging of individual lenses is some what recyclable|
And the winner is:
DAILY DISPOSABLE CONTACT LENSES!
I hope this article helps you decide whether monthly contact lenses or daily contact lenses are better for everyday use. Always consult an eye doctor before transitioning from glasses to contact lenses to help you decide which type of contacts are better for you. Learn how to prevent your furniture from scratching your wooden floor.
To learn about contact lens prescriptions and astigmatism, check out some of these helpful articles:
- Anti Glare LensesYou are buying a new pair of glasses for yourself, when suddenly the optician asks …
- Oversized Rimless GlassesWe designed a pair of glasses like no other. These are large, oversized, rimless glasses. …
- Prescription Squash GlassesSquash Glasses are a necessary evil for all squash players. For those under 19 and …
- Using a TV Screen as a MonitorIf you are considering using a TV screen as a computer monitor, you should be …
- Should I get eye surgery?Getting eye surgery should be an informed decision. Read here to learn the pros and cons of eye surgery to decide if you should go for it.
- Daily disposable vs monthly contact lensesMonthly and daily disposable contact lenses are the two main types of contacts available in …
- can i wear normal contacts with astigmatismThere are normal people who wear contact lenses, and then there are those who have …
- Convert astigmatism into normal contact lensesMany people who want to wear contacts wonder if they can wear normal contact lenses …